I am fortunate in many ways. One reason is that I have complete control over what comes into my house. I don’t have to negotiate menus and food. So, I cook what I like–simple, well-seasoned, yummy food.
As I am on the journey to lose 170 pounds, I learned it is essential to explore food and recipes and not get into a rut. The recipe page reflects this exploration and meals I really like. Here are a few things that I found are necessary for having fun in the kitchen. I am also going to say, I love Pampered Chef. One of my friends sells it, and I am addicted. It is great stuff and I love it.
1) Good pots and pans. I love good heavy cookware. I have a great set of non-stick that I love. I had them for almost 10 years. I use them daily. I know you aren’t supposed to put them in the dishwasher. But I admit I do. I am starting to hand-wash them so they will last longer.
I also have two non-stick stainless skillets. I use the 10-in skillet all the time. I also have a regular stainless and porcelain 8-in skillet that I also use. And I invested in a non-stick grill pan. And that is fun!
2) Good knives are essential. Again, I like a heavy knife. I have a 7-in chef and 7-in santoku. I am going to get a 5-in santoku. I actually like smaller knives. I feel like I am in better control.
3) SPICE!!! Oh my goodness, you need to start a good spice collection. Mine is massive, but I have built it up over several years. I am also always replacing spices. Ground spices last for a year or so before they start losing flavor. My go-to spices include chili powder, red pepper flakes, paprika, curry, turmeric, cumin, and Herbes de Provence.
4) HERBS! I love fresh herbs when I have a chance. Right now, I am buying them, you can also use dry. Dry is stronger so always start small with your seasonings. You can always add more, you can never take it out.
4) A food vacuum sealer or lots of baggies. There is a lot of breaking down food into single servings and freezing. So, when I cook, I am really cooking for one.
I know there are several more things. I will be adding to this as I remember.